From: Nick Lombard (VSP)
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 2:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Tomcat 4.1.x not allowing symlinks for static content.

Good day.

We are experiencing problems with symlinks in an application (context)
directory in that tomcat refuses to follow the link and returns that the
resource cannot be found.

We are running Tomcat 4.1.12, JDK 1.4.1.01 on Linux.

The Release notes states the following.

---------------------------
Symlinking static resources:
---------------------------

Unix symlinks will not work when used in a web application to link resources
located outside the web application root directory.

This behavior is optional, and the "allowLinking" flag may be used to
disable
the check.

What we are doing is placing a symlink for common resources accross our
applications in each webapp. This contains stylesheets, images etc. These
sources are served as if they belong to the application ie. through the
symbolic link.

We had no problems with Tomcat 4.0.x but now it seems that symlinks are
disabled by default.

The above entry found in the release notes stating that the "allowLinking"
flag may be used to disable the check is all fine and well if I can only
work out where to set this flag.  No further mention can be found in the
documentation or anywhere on this list (If I didn't miss it).

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem and could you please reply with
a solution ?

Thank you in advance.
Nick Lombard.