On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, David Tildesley wrote:

> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:19:48 +1300
> From: David Tildesley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: How do I increase performance on Tomcat?
>
> I've observed that increasing memory settings can have the opposite effect
> on performance also and introduce a cyclic performance factor (requests per
> second spikes quite high and then plummets to very low for sometimes 30 secs
> or more.

That is exactly what I'd expect to see if you've allocated a lot of memory
and the garbage collector fires off.  The only way to know for sure is use
a monitoring tool.

If it is garbage collection, try using incremental mode (set your
CATALINA_OPTS environment variable to include "-Xincgc" before starting
Tomcat).

Craig