Thanks Robert and Bill,

I've got the system working now using direct additions to httdp.conf
(basically a cut and paste of the auto generated file mod_jk.conf with
additions).  I haven't yet had a chance to experiment with the
noRoot="false" though that sounds very much like the sort of attribute
that might have been tripping us up.  The thing that was refusing to
work for me was the Aliasing of the root context.  Now that I've stopped
trying to alias it and instead am just referring JkMounts to ajp13 and
pointing Apache at the same root as tomcat all seems to be well.

I can appreciate the convenience of configuring things from one location
and as such, perhaps what I should be doing is using the Include
directive in the httpd.conf and configuring a static copy of mod_jk.conf
(ie: one that doesn't get overwritten with each startup of Tomcat) for
the aliases etc.
Either way I'm still editing two files, either server.xml and
mod_jk.conf and or httpd.conf and server.xml

Many thanks for your various assistances thus far.  You're champions.

Tref

Tref Gare
Development Consultant
Areeba
Level 19/114 William St, Melbourne VIC 3000
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone: +61 3 9642 5553
fax: +61 3 9642 1335
website: http://www.areeba.com.au
"This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
named above and contains information that is confidential. No
confidentiality is waived or lost by any mis-transmission. If you
received this correspondence in error, please notify the sender and
immediately delete it from your system. You must not disclose, copy or
rely on any part of this correspondence if you are not the intended
recipient. Any communication directed to clients via this message is
subject to our Agreement and relevant Project Schedule. Any information
that is transmitted via email which may offend may have been sent
without knowledge or the consent of Areeba."