I find that with databases in general, and MySQl in particular, that you
CPU is bound up in a io wait state, that is, waiting for disk reads
and/or writes. You may be disk bound. In that case, adding another CPU
will only give you nominal improvement.

You would need to check to see if I/O is the issue by checking the I/O
wait states and see if the kernel is just blocking the CPU waiting for
disk read/writes. If so, are you using SCSI? IDE? Got RAID? Striping
will improve the situation, as well as turning off mirroring disks, if
you have that setup.

Ben Ricker
Wellinx.com