Your exception message is clearly telling you what is going on.
To wit, somewhere in the execution path of your prgram could
not find the class, java.net.ServerSocketFactory.

With J2SDK veriosn < 1.4.x, you will have to play with J2
Security Extension packages, but no needed to mess with them
if you use J2SDK v1.4.x -- recommending v1.4.1_01 because
v1.4.0 had a bug(at least I know there is one).

Pae

> I've caught the exception output
>
> it begins:
> EmbededTomcat: exception initializing ContextManager
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/net/ServerSocketFactory
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:486)
>
> Where might that be - one of the container .jars? I thought Tomcat picked
> them up as necessary?

SSL