From: Brandon Cruz [mailto:bcruz@;norvax.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 9:36 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Tomcat Threads never stop growing, why?

I am using Tomcat 3.2.4.  When I start the server, about 300 threads are
created, which seems like a lot, but the server runs fine.  As time goes on,
the amount of threads grows and grows.  The threads are all sleeping and
don't look like they are taking any resources, but they never close.  After
a full day, there are well over 700 threads and the parent process for these
threads is hogging CPU, RAM is way up, etc.

This seems like it may be a Tomcat 3.2.4 issue, but may also be related to
the DB connections.  We use mySQL database and the mm.mysql driver.  We have
mySQL set to automatically close DB connections after 15 minutes of non-use,
but will that kill the java objects created for the connections or only kill
things on the mysql end?  Before someone says to use a connection pool, we
have hundreds of databases, one for each virtual host client.

Where should I start looking?  Do we have to do something other than tell
mySQL to kill connections, or would this more likely be a Tomcat issue and
not even related to DB connections.  Finally, if the answer is to use a
profiler to monitor this, what is a fairly simple profiler to connect to a
remote machine and use for testing?

Thanks!

Brandon Cruz

For additional commands, e-mail: