Which way you go is up to you.  It sounded like you were concerned about
having to FTP multiple files to your Tomcat server, as well as FTP multiple
files to your Apache server.

Doing so, while it might work, doesn't take advantage of deployment features
built into Tomcat.  For example, to deploy a webapp to Tomcat, you would
create a WAR file.  That's just one file, not a bunch of files.  You put it
on the Tomcat server and Tomcat does the rest.  As far as getting it to
Tomcat, you can use tools like ant to deploy your WAR files with just a
couple of steps, no FTP needed.

Obviously, you have to determine what works best for you.  If you are trying
to build a shared hosting environment offering Tomcat services, then you
might have to rethink things, though I don't see what putting Tomcat on a
separate server would do for you in that scenario.  If, on the other hand,
you are in a home or corporate environment, dealing with deploying your apps
to Tomcat isn't that big of a deal, and certainly doesn't require you to
setup NFS or rsync or anything else like that.

John