The short answer is "Yes, Tomcat 4.0.x can run as a service."

The longer answers include reading HOW-TOs, like Jake's suggestion below, consulting
the manual on tomcat.exe and some creative understanding of UNIX and Win2k
environments.

As the tomcat.exe is not very well documented in the Jakarta distribution (after all
UNIX is the primary deployment platform), all the glorious details can be found at
Alexandria Software
(http://www.alexandriasc.com/software/JavaService/documentation.html) the developer of
the tomcat.exe (renamed as "tomcat.exe" from the bland, somewhat engimatic,
"JavaService.exe").

Do not shy away from the "3.x" references in the Alexandria Software manual. The
instructions have resulted in dual Tomcat 4.0.x installations running on my
development and production servers. I provide load balancing, etc. as well. (A great
HOW-TO is available on load balancing Tomcat services in a UNIX environment at
www.ubeans.com/tomcat by Pascal Forget; I applied these instructions to my Win2k
deployments.)

Hope this further helps,
Tim-I-wish-my-*nix-phobic-MCSE-admins-would-quit-worshipping-at-the-Church-of-Redmond-and-my-life-would-be-much-simpler-Stone

--
/**
 * Timothy Stone      . Sun Certified Java Programmer