I noticed that a lot of people have gotten the same problem in getting a
database connection after using the admin tool to create a datasource in
tomcat 4.1.12:
java.sql.SQLException: Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null'
exception when calling getConnection() on datasource object.

I also got this problem when I created a global datasource.  The problem
went away when I deleted the global datasource definition and created the
datasource directly in the context of the webapp I was trying to use.  To
clarify, I still used the gui admin tool to create the datasource - it's
just that I burrowed into
Service->Host(localhost)->Context(/mydbtest)->Resources->Data Sources.

BTW - I'm hitting SQL Server 2000 on Win 2000.