#] gdb /path/to/executable /path/to/corefile

<...loads all the symbols from the core ...>

(gdb)bt

<.. prints the stack trace of the segfault ..>

I have not done this with tomcat.  your milage may vary.

If you do not have a core you can do it this way....

#]gdb /path/to/executable
(gdb) run -X

( cause your app to crash )

(gdb)bt