You could map a servlet or jsp to the path / that dispatches the request using
RequestDispatcher.forward("/path_to_somewhere" to what ever place you want, then
remove the welcome-files from web.xml, if you don't want that functionality.

I think that might work for you.

Hope it helps
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(www.mysite.com) is requested, the url is actually redirected (the url of the window
will change) to www.mysite.com/index.jsp. This presumes use of tomcat as standalone.

>From what I have been reading this can have adverse effects on search engine
>placement and is thus not a desired effect.  Does anyone know how to configure tomcat
>to behave as most other web servers and *not* redirect the user?  I think the
>difference here may be to forward the user versus redirecting them.

Thanks.
Neal