OK,
        Perhaps then a session is not what is required here. I wish to
make available upon startup of the server, some simple string values. They
must be accessible to all clients, auto initialised when the service
starts up. This is something similar to a posting I made a while ago
reagrding libraries. I want to load into memory these values when the
server starts, that will be accessible to all clients.

Thanks

Paul.

Hmm, I think you might be missing the point of a session. It is
something that is associated with a client. If you want something
initialized when the app starts up, you need to put something in a
servlet.init() method. In there, check to see if that thing is
initialized, if not, initialize it.
For sessions, you'd call request.getSession(true), when the user first
hits the app, to create the session for that client. You can check for a
valid session by calling request.getSession(false) first, testing for
null...

David