jfc wrote:
Tim Funk wrote:

To use URL rewriting all your URLS must first wrapped in
response.encodeRedirectURL()

So does this mean that tomcat does not automatically do the encoding in the absence of cookies?
If you use response.encodeRedirectURL(), it will. But if your URL's are not wrapped in response.encodeRedirectURL(), you'll be SOL regardless of the servlet engine you use.

That being said:
response.encodeRedirectURL() will rewrite the URL to add jsessionid if there was no incoming session cookie.

AFAIK - tomcat will not go through the effort of rewriting the URL if the session can be persisted via the cookie.

Will tomcat *automatically* go through the effort of rewriting the URL if the session *cannot* be persisted via the cookie?(i.e. do I need to watch for clients that don't support cookies or can I rest assured that tomcat knows whether or not a request has a cookie and so when cookies are not there then it encodes each request for me?)

Yes - with the above condition that all urls are wrapped in response.encodeRedirectURL()