Hi,

How do I authenticate against an LDAP directory using
TomCat 4.1.2?

In my web.xml I have a resource that requires form
authentication as follows:
   <login-config>
        <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
        <realm-name>java:/jaas/LDAPLogin</realm-name>
<!-- I tried with and without this -->
        <form-login-config>
            <form-login-page>/login</form-login-page>

<form-error-page>/login-fail</form-error-page>
        </form-login-config>
    </login-config>

I have read the JNDI Realm how-to and added the
following few lines to my server.xml file.
      <Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
debug="99"
        connectionURL="ldap://ldapmachine:389";
        userPattern="uid={0},ou=Users,o=myOrg.com"
        roleBase="ou=Groups,0=myOrg.com"
        roleName="cn"
        roleSearch="(uniqueMember={0})"/>

When I access a restricted URL the login page appears
and I type in my credentials, but when I submit (to:
j_security_check)
I automatically get redirected to my login-fail page
in a matter of nano-seconds (this in itself suggests
that it is not working!).

When I look in the TomCat log files I cannot see any
references to any attempts to contact my LDAP
directory.
And when I look in the LDAP access log I cannot see
any attempt to be contacted either.

What step have I missed out or got wrong?

Many thanks in advance

Charlene