Yes I am literally typing "startup.bat" ( without quotes ) at the dos prompt in the appropiate directory. It works for other *.bat files.

I also tried literally typing just "startup" ( without quotes ). No difference.

Tomcat will still start by clicking on the icon for startup.bat in explorer, but it will not start by typing the name of the bat file at the Windows 2000 command line.

Thanks in advance

Steve

At 04:25 PM 11/25/2002 -0500, you wrote:
Steve, are you typing (literally) "startup.bat" at the DOS command line to start Tomcat?? If so, you should just type in "startup"--one word--and that should quickly activate it to your satisfaction!! If it still doesn't, get back to me "at the speed of light" and I will go on with trying to help you!

On Mon 11/25, Steve Russell wrote:From: Steve Russell [mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]]To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:18:37 -0500Subject: Re: Problems running Tomcat from command lineAt 12:41 PM 11/25/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> Ya, Christopher Balz is "right on the money" with his solid judgement
> that all of
>the various slashes in BOTH the path and the classpath env. variables should
>definitely point in just one direction only!!!

This isn't an issue. As I wrote in my post I had two sets of output. One
I got when trying to run tomcat from dos which only gave me "bad command or
file name".

The second set of output is from cygwin, a unix emulator that mixes up/
takes care of slashes of different directions. I included that output
because it gave a little bit more information.

My apologies if it gave anyone the mistaken impression that I had mixed
slash types in my Windows 2000 environmental variables.

I could still use some help. Clicking on startup.bat gets tomcat
running. typing "startup.bat" at a dos prompt in
C:\TOMCAT\bin does nothing.

Here are the enviromental variables for Windows 2000 I set under "system":

CLASSPATH:
..;C:\W2Kimage_c\cygwin\home\steve\Projects\Classes;C:\TOMCAT\lib\servlet.jar

PATH:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SystemRoot%\system32\nls;%SystemRoot%\system32\nls\English;C:JDK\bin;C:\ProgramFiles\GnuEmacs21.2\bin;C:\ProgramFiles;C:\PROGRA~1\ULTRAE~1;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN;

JAVA_HOME:
C:\JDK

TOMCAT_HOME
C:\TOMCAT