Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I just got my MySQL cookbook in
the mail (has a JSP section) and combined with an O'Reilly JSP book I'm
going to try to tough it out over the Thanksgiving holiday.  I have less
documentation on your approach and it looks like even more to learn (Ant
for instance); I'm really a hardware guy who likes to play with software
;-}, I have better luck with assembler on 8 bit micros.  The JSP book is
by Bergsten and he really doesn't go into the web.xml file much, I think
I will attack that first.

Thanks again,
Eric