Mark Walker wrote:
I have 4.1.12 installed on a "Wallstreet" G3 Powerbook and it is running great!

There's a document in Apple's Developer Forum (http://developer.apple.com/internet/java/tomcat1.html) that covers installing Tomcat on the Mac. It refers to 4.0.1 but should work fine for you. Actually, it sounds like you may be past that part already. The one hurdle I had in the whole process (not in the article) was caused by StuffIt! when it unzipped the download. The filename for the class "SetCharacterEncodingFilter.class" is too long for StuffIt! so it drops the "ss" off the end. Now the JVM doesn't find it and you get an error page instead. I believe the file is in two directories (I'm not near the Mac right now). Look in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters and
$CATALINA_HOME/server/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/classes/filters. Just fix the file extension and you should be good to go.

The manager and admin applications should only require the following element in your tomcat-users.xml file:

<user username="your_user_id" password="your_password" roles="admin,manager"/>

You should get GNU tar - Stuffit, and Mac OS X tar have a path-length limitation which results in name truncation.

Martin