Howdy,

>have a servlet which serves up a page that contains an applet. Tomcat
>4.1 is my application server and I have it installed on my machine

Terminology caution: usually "application server" refers to a J2EE (or
.Not) server.  Most people prefer to call tomcat a servlet/JSP
container.

A full-fledged application server would probably have a full, native,
administrabale RMI component.

>method in the applet's "init()" method. I gather that I have not set up
>my Java plug-in/Tomcat security policy files correctly. I tried adding
>this to the catalina.plicy file, but with no luck:
>
>grant codeBase= "file:${catalina.home}/webapps/salerio/-" {
>    permission java.net.SocketPermission "localhost:1099",
>"accept,connect,listen";
>};

You're on the right track.  It's the applet throwing the exception, and
the applet that needs the permission.  Grant the above to the applet by
modifying the .policy file on the client as well.  Yes, that means every
PC that runs your applet needs to have the .policy file adjusted -- the
applet security model is very restrictive.  One reason I stay away from
applets ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics