Sure, there are few possibilities.

One is to make a ServletContextListener, with this you can start up what ever class
you like when the application starts.
Another one is to make servlet and have its load-on-startup parameter set in web.xml

For example if I have a servletcontextListener called ContextAttributeListener I would
define it like this in web.xml for my application.

<listener>
  <listener-class>com.firm.listeners.ContextAttributeListener</listener-class>
</listener>

This class can then do what ever you like.

Servlet would be defined like this :

<servlet>
  <servlet-name>startup_servlet</servlet-name>
  <servlet-class>com.something.project.startup_servlet</servlet-class>
  <init-param>
    <param-name>someconfigpath</param-name>
    <param-value>/WEB-INF/conf/something.properties</param-value>
  </init-param>
  <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

And as the load-on-startup param is set to 1 it will be the first servlet to be loaded
in the startup line.
Hope this helps
-reynir