Ron,
Just some ramblings/thing I have been thinking about.
I had performance problems with jakarta-james on win2000 which did not happen on linux,
james dev guy fixed it.

So I was wondering what OS and java are you using.
Are you using a database in your code?

I have problems with starting tomcat as a service on win2000 with jdk1.4.1.
Had to manually remove the old service which was created when I was using jdk1.3.1.
Then every thing was ok

Are you having the same problem with one on the examples that comes with tomcat?

Could you put some debug with timestamps in your code.

Do you have a low memory problem with swaping happening.

You can check your created dates and time for files in the work directory to see if when your jsp were last complied.

Good luck.
Regards,
Simon