Okay, this was just dumb on my part. When I installed Tomcat I installed the tomcat-noexamples and tomcat-admin RPM's. However, I noticed that installing Tomcat on a different machine (with examples), the first section in the server.xml file having to do with (believe it or not!) MBean server was not commented out like it was in the noexamples server.xml file. So basically that's all the problem was... if I had looked at server.xml more closely sooner I could have saved myself lots of frustration!

Thanks for all the help,
-shawn

Jacob Kjome wrote:
Hi Shawn,

I'd recommend installing the full non-RPM version that includes all necessary
jars. In that version, you will see the following files in
common/endorsed:

xercesImpl.jar
xmlParserAPIs.jar

What Bill says it correct, though. The Xerces version that come with
Tomcat causes problems with Struts apps because of an XML parsing bug
in Xerces which was recently fixed. You can either do as he says and
contain the fix:
http://gump.covalent.net/jars/latest/xml-xerces2/

Otherwise, you could also check the xml commons to grab a
xml-commons-api's jar that contains an earlier version of the xerces
packages equivalent to the 2.1.0 release.
http://xml.apache.org/commons/

Jake

Tuesday, November 26, 2002, 10:05:27 AM, you wrote:

SW> Hi Bill,

SW> Thanks for the info. I checked, but there isn't any xerces jar in SW> $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed... only jaxp_parser_impl.jar and SW> xml-commons-apis.jar. This was just a basic RPM install of Tomcat along SW> with the admin webapps. Also, the exception trace I posted _was_ from SW> catalina.out, so that's as detailed as it gets.

SW> By the way, what is this MBean server it is looking for anyways?

SW> Thanks,
SW> -shawn

SW> Bill Barker wrote:

I'm guessing that there is a more informative message in 'catalina.out', and
that the problem is that 4.1.12 doesn't work with xerces-2.2.x (other than
'nightly').  Replace the xerces jars in $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed with
the 2.1.0 version, and it should be fine.

"Shawn Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

I have the following packages installed on a RedHat 7.3 box:

  tomcat4-4.1.12-full.2jpp
  tomcat4-admin-webapps-4.1.12-full.2jpp

Tomcat starts up fine and I can log into the admin app without problem.
However, the moment I try to do anything in the admin app I get a "HTTP
Status 503 - Servlet action is currently unavailable" error, and I see
this in my catalina.out log file:

javax.servlet.UnavailableException: MBeanServer is not available
       at
org.apache.webapp.admin.ApplicationServlet.initServer(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.webapp.admin.ApplicationServlet.getServer(Unknown
Source)
       at org.apache.webapp.admin.TomcatTreeBuilder.buildTree(Unknown
Source)
       at org.apache.webapp.admin.SetUpTreeAction.perform(Unknown
Source)

       at

org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processActionPerform(ActionServlet.ja
va)

       at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java)
       at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java)

       at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
       at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Unknown
Source)

What does this exception mean, and what do I need to do to get the admin
app running?

Thanks,
-shawn

--