If a web application uses a jndi datasource, should the web.xml contain the definition for the datasource before deployment (that is in the war file) or after deployment (that is after the war file has been deployed) ? This sounds strange as I was having problems with this in tomcat 4.1.12 , where Tomcat could not start if the there was a resource definition in the web.xml. Of course I can't create a resource for the context using the admin interface since the context doesn't exist yet.
I've used Sun one server and all seems ok so what is the correct sequence for doing things in tomcat?