I am intrigued by this feature; it would help with the debugging of a
application. I tried to test it against tomcat but I get nothing on
stderr (i.e., nothing in /var/log/messages, terminal, directory I am in,
catalina.out, or any of the logs for Tomcat).

Could you expand on what behavior you see when you send the -3 to
Tomcat's PID?

Thanks,

Ben Ricker
Wellinx.com