1. Rename classes12.zip to classes12.jar. You don't have to repackage the classes, simply rename the file.
2. Put classes12.jar in CATALINA_HOME/common/lib. That is the *only* place it can go because both the server and the application require access to it. Libraries under the common (jars in /lib or /endorsed and class files in /classes) directory are seen by both the appserver and webapps unlike stuff under /shared or stuff under /server.

Then follow the docs for configuration:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

Jake