Hi,

I have an existing PHP application I want to port to Java servlets (I am an
experienced programmer, but new to Java servlets). It is basically an admin
interface for managing user accounts for community sites. To keep this as
flexible and true to a MVC-pattern as possible, I figured I'd have my
servlet generate a custom response object from a custom request object. I
then would write filters to translate the request parameters to my custom
request and on the way back, create the actual output from my custom
response. This way I should be able to make the same app usable by different
clients by just throwing in another filter (required client types at the
moment are (X)HTML, Flash/XML, and Flash/FlashRemoting).

>From what I understand, this is one of the main uses of filters. My question
is, how do I pass the custom request/response objects between  my filters
and the servlet? I guess it involves HttpServletResponseWrappers, but I
can't figure out how (you can overwrite getWriter() and such, but that is of
no use to me). What I would need is to attach my result as a generic object
to the HttpServletResponse, and have my filter retrieve it, format it, and
write the response to the client.

I can do the above by having my servlet output XML, and then having my
filter transform the XML to the actual output. But this seems to be
unnecessary overhead to me (unless I want to use XSLT anyway, which I
don't).

Thanks,
Andreas