RequestDispatcher works the same in a servlet or a filter. You can use
forward() in a filter and not call doFilter() just like you call forward()
in your servlet followed by a return;

The diffference is that your request will get mapped to one servlet, but it
can also be mapped to multiple filters, each of which could serve their own
purpose. In my case this allows me to use the same servlet for different
virtual hosts and have the host-specific code in a filter.

If you need to put logic around static files, you can use a filter to
contain the logic and then let the tomcat serve the file.

Charlie