> have you looked at tomcat's classloader document?
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html
>
> Charlie

Yes, and it basically talks about the class loaders that Tomcat uses. But I want to be
able to load classes from an jar file at an arbitrary URL specified at runtime,
without having to put it in any of the predefined directories.

I suspect though that the issue might be parentship of my newly instantiated
URLClassLoader. But I don't know.

All I know is that

static Class getClass( String className, URL[] urls) throws ....
    ClassLoader cl = new URLClassLoader( urls);

etc

works outside of Tomcat but not within.

Basically, the thing hangs (no SecurityException or anything). It leads me to think
that the problem lies in the reversed order that servlet containers use when resolving
classes, but I don't know what to do in order to fix it.

/O