Hello,

I have an issue where I'm trying to run Tomcat 4.1.12 with Axis 1.0 and my
own webapp.

Both Tomcat 4.1.12 and Axis 1.0 prefer Xerces 2 (actually, Axis needs it
because it needs the lexical handling that isn't offered by Xerces 1).
However, a component in my own webapp (which I didn't write and don't have
direct control over) seems to need Xerces 1.

I've read through the Class Loader - HOW-TO and the installation
instructions for Tomcat and Axis.  It seems that, based on the classloading
behavior of JDK 1.4 (which I'm using) in Tomcat that I could place
xerces.jar in $CATALINA_HOME/myapp/WEB-INF/lib and it would be used with my
web app whereas $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed, containing xercesImpl.jar
and xmlParserAPIs.jar, would be used for any other webapp -- including Axis
and Tomcat.

This does not appear to be the behavior though.  Xerces 2 is used for all
webapps if it exists in $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed and the same holds
true for Xerces 1.

Is there any way I can make Tomcat (or JDK 1.4) use a specific version of
xerces for any particular webapp while defaulting to a possibly different
version of xerces for all the other webapps?

Thank you very much in advance,
Brion