Ok I have tomcat all installed and serving up web pages nicely. I am able to
access everything ok so far. The problem: I have installed J2SDK and tomcat
both and set the appropriate environmental variables (I believe). I am able
to compile java classes that contain "standard" java imports (i.e.
java.util, java.text, etc) just fine, however when I want to compile
anything that includes the java.servlet  package, it is failing to find the
package. I have noted that if I go into the
Tomcat/webapps/examples/web-inf/classes directory and attempt to compile any
of the classes that come with Tomcat by default, they ALSO fail, telling me
they cannot find the javax.servlet package.

I have also noticed that the Tomcat install came with a great deal of .jar
files, several of which seem to include the classes that I am looking for.
So do I need to add an environmental variable to let my compiler find these?
Or do I just need to move the .jar files to the right location? How do I
know which .jar files are the correct ones to use (as I mentioned, there are
a number of them that seem to have what I'm looking for)?

Thanks for any help!

Patrick