Jerry Ford wrote:

With all due respect and recognition to the enormous efforts you personally appear to have put into making Tomcat accessible, the documentation is neither comprehensive nor adequate, for either Tomcat or whatever is the connector du jour. There are pockets of good documentation, such as your how-tos and seemingly tireless presence on this mail list, surrounded by lots of chaffe---incomplete, inaccurate, out-of-date, even non-existent files inside of tarballs or littered around the jakarta.apache.org website.

I have to agree. Someone on this mailing list said that jk2 is beta. You say jk is deprecated. All I know is I got mod_jk to work, but couldn't get jk2 to work because the documentation was so bad. I didn't even know what the JkMount directive took, so I couldn't figure out that ajp13 needed to be replaced with the name of my worker. As a starting point there should be nice documentation for the conf directives like the ones found at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/ for those modules.

Among the things I can't find:
*) A list of properties to set in the workers.properties (and workers2.properties)
*) A list of conf directives (see above) for mod_jk and mod_jk2
*) A list of valves available in tomcat (besides the ones listed in the tomcat javadocs, which are now up again, are there more?)
*) Besides valves there is no list of available Engines and Loggers and a whole bunch of other great things that are out there. I found that putting some of the Loggers in my server.xml broken the auto-generator for no apparent reason. I don't know why I have to include:
debug="0" resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
or the autogeneration fails.

I don't mean to rag on you, or the Apache group.
ditto

I know it's all free software and, though it may not sound like it, I am an appreciative fan, now that I have stumbled onto this list and located your how-to page. But I've spent a lot of time fruitlessly searching the jakarta.apache.org website for answers to my questions and I have found the doc set taken as a whole to be contradictory, poorly organized, and in some cases downright misleading.

ditto. Especially since jk contains refrences to jk2, which really confuse me. For example when I start tomcat I see in catalina.out:
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=3/219 config=/usr/local/tomcat/conf/jk2.properties
... and I have no idea why jk would be accessing jk2.properties, or what I can set in there.

My point was that Tomcat is free, and it is developed in the open source
model. That means the quickest way to get your suggestions implemented is
to do them yourself.
But in order to do that, I first need to have a basic knowledge of how things work, which I currently don't. And I can't log into bugzilla to post patches (who do I mail for that?)

The source for the ApacheConfig class is in the Tomcat source bundle, where
it should be.
But I thought it should have been in the mod_jk tarball, which has a build.xml file but no java code. Like I said I am confused. In fact there are all sorts of directories in that tarball (and especially in mod_jk2) that serve no purpose I can see, besides native.

Tomcat is a mess. I'm just upgrading from jserv now, and I thought it would take a day or two. It has already taken a week.

And btw what is the official status of webapp, jk, and jk2?