Luc Foisy wrote:
It did eventually lead to an OutOfMemory exception ( at least months ago )
But as I continue to watch "top" I have pushed it up to tomcat using 108 megs of memory (and it doesnt go away). As this server only has 128 megs of memory, thats pushing it, and that was in the span of maybe 15 minutes. I didnt actually push it to the outofmemory state this time around, as it is quite obviously the same problem I was getting about 4 month ago when I first switched to the 4.x strain. I was hoping the newer version would have solved that issue ( and darned it, I was almost ready to deploy on production server AGAIN! I don't need the clients ripping me a new umm below orafice again! :)
Having that exception printed out in the logs should not lead to any memory consumption. Useless flushing happens in Jasper, which will be removed (but not in 4.1.18, since there is no time to do a beta).
You should check for other factors which could cause memory consumption (like having too many active sessions), and report if you find a part of Tomcat causing the problem.

Anyways, using the legacy HTTP1.1 connector I have not been able to reproduce the socketException after multiple people pounding on it for the last 10 minutes. That makes me happy...
The legacy HTTP/1.1 connector is bad in many ways (I know, because I wrote it), and given the Jasper code, it is wrong in that particular case to swallow the exception.
I don't recommend using it.

Remy