I have been building classes inherited from the org.apache.catalina.realmbase package, and have been struggling with where to put them. One of the reason's I have been doing this is to expose TC's realm implementation within my web applications. The best solution I have found so far is to just drop the apache classes I need for my webapps into a .jar in the common/lib directory.

I have been getting most of the functionality I want, but once I override the stop() method of RealmBase, I start getting a sealing violation due to the inclusion of LifeCycle, and LifeCycleException when tomcat starts up. I can see that once my hack gets deeper and deeper into TC code, I will windup with class loader issues, which I would like to avoid.

Mostly, I am wondering (hoping) if there is a way to expose my custom user database (defined within GlobalNamingResource) within my webapps without having to worry so much about class loader issues, as I often find down in development that certian apache classes are not exposed within the class loader my web apps are using. I am hoping that the same class I can play with inside my applications, would be the same singleton instance that tomcat uses when it starts - but I haven't found an easy way to expose this. Does this violate some sort of MVC ideology?

Randy