In/localhost:8080/examples/jsp/mail/sendmail.txt

it notes that the assumption is that no user authentication is required.
Is it reasonable to assume that verizon.net will expect user authentication?

<title>Example Mail Sending Form</title>
</head>

<code>javax.mail.Session</code> resource factory that is configured into
the JNDI context for this web application.  Before it can be used
successfully, you must take note of the following:</p>
<ul>
<li>The default configuration assumes that there is an SMTP server running
    on <strong>localhost</strong>.  If this is not the case, edit your
    <code>conf/server.xml</code> file and change the value for the
    <code>mail.smtp.host</code> parameter to the name of a host that provides
    SMTP service for your network.</li>
<li>The application logic assumes that no user authentication is required
    by your SMTP server before accepting mail messages to be sent.</li>