Joseph Shraibman wrote:
If I put the latest xerces and xalan in tomcat/common/endorsed, I get the following error on startup. I don't get this with the xerces/xalan that comes with jdk 1.4.1. What is causing this? What *file* is this?

Starting service Tomcat-Apache
Apache Tomcat/4.1.18-LE-jdk14
Parse Fatal Error at line 551 column 44: The string "--" is not permitted within comments.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The string "--" is not permitted within comments.
at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)
It's a know problem with recent versions of Xerces and Struts 1.0. It is a Xerces bug (which gies a confusing error message).

To fix it, you can:
- use the JDK 1.4 parser
- use the Xerces release bundled with Tomcat 4.1.18
- upgrade to Struts 1.1 beta 3 (the XML is different, and doesn't trigger the Xerces bug)

Remy