Apache already supports dynamic virtual hosting. See http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/mass.html. That's what I'm talking about. The problem is that when connecting apache to tomcat you can't map into a contect directly, you only pass the request along to tomcat so somcat has to find the proper <Host> based on the requested host name. If the connector could map directly into a context then Apache could do something like:
JkMount /* worker1:mycontext/%0/

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

As for the web connectors, you'll need to ask someone who understands and
works on them what the plans are for supporting dynamic configuration
changes.  Given that Apache doesn't appear to support them, I would guess
this is going to be a challenge -- but that's outside my area of
expertise.