John,

> If you mean developing a mail transporter or server, like sendmail or
qmail,
> in Java for Linux servers, that would be a really really bad idea for too
> many reasons to list here

I am a Committer on the Java Apache Mail Enterprise Server
(http://jakarta.apache.org/james).  If you want to express your views, I'd
be interested to read them.  You can contact me off-list if you wish, or on
one of the James mailing lists, e.g., [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> the JavaMail FAQ:
http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/FAQ.html#javamailserver

Simply states that the initial design point for JavaMail was client-side.
That has nothing to do with the viability of writing enterprise class
messaging servers in Java.

        --- Noel