I beleive you need to have tools.jar available to Tomcat. Either specify it in your
classpath, or put it in one of the 'lib' folders within %tomcat_home%.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tammer Salem
  To: Tomcat Users List
  Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 5:42 PM
  Subject: JSPs throwing exceptions under new installation of Tomcat

  Hi,
  I just downloaded Apache Tomcat 4.0 and have successfully reached the
  http://localhost:8080 page. I can run the servlet examples ok, but the JSP
  examples always throw exceptions. I have the Java SDK (j2sdk1.4.1_01) on my
  machine and the %JAVA_HOME% environment variable is setup correctly.
  Have any ideas why I keep getting exceptions in the JSP examples?
  (I've included an HTML output of the exception that is thrown when I access
  the number guess example)

  My machine spec is as follows:
      - IBM PC 1 Processor (866 MHz)
      - 384 MB RAM