Yeah, I find most problems of "it worked on version 4.x, but not 4.y"
are resolved down to:
1) The app really did change even though the person reporting the
problem claims it did not
2) The app is coded around a "feature"(read: Bug), which has been
fixed.  :)  This has gotten us mostly with
respect to differences in handling of UTF strings.
3) configuration changes that are needed by code introduced in the
later Tomcat version
4) A real bug introduced in the tomcat code.

Usually in that order.  In your case, it was a nasty variation on
number 2, not something that would be easily findable.

Glad to see you tracked it down.

- Jeff Tulley

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1/6/03 12:40:19 PM >>>
Thank you very much for the reply. After double checking all my
settings and
for hunting where the problem was, i disabled a filter i had
implemented to
ensure that https was being used when i wanted.

Disabling the filter allowed tc 4.1.18 to work using https. So now the
problem
becomes why the filter does work under 4.1.12 and not 4.1.18.

A quick debug of the filter shows that the problem must be of
implementation.

Tomcat 4.1.12's httpRequest.getRequestURL() returns
http://my.server.com:443/myapp
                              ^^^
That's the only way i had to know if i was being requested something
via SSL,
so i wrote my filter to check for the secure port.

Tomcat 4.1.18's httpRequest.getRequestURL() returns
https://my.server.com/myapp
^^^^^
And even though my TC doesn't handle the SSL, i'm now told what scheme
is
being requested.

This is a wellcome change, I just didn't know about it! I hope it stays
that
way, becouse i now have to rewrite the filter, i hope i don't have to
rewrite
it again for future upgrades.

Any coments? Suggestions?

PS.
I'm running linux, debian (woody and sid)... jdk 1.4.1-rc-b19.
Apache-ssl
1.3.26
Again thanks!