OK, so what's the rationalization for the 302?  Can you shed some light on
that?

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 9:07 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: RewriteRules and Standalone Tomcat

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Turner, John wrote:

> Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:33:50 -0500
> From: "Turner, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: RewriteRules and Standalone Tomcat
>

> No problem, glad to help.  Remember, Tomcat is not a HTTP server.  It
> supports HTTP as a matter of convenience.  You can run Tomcat all day
> long without a HTTP or HTTPS connector, and as far as I know, there is
> nothing in the spec that says Tomcat has to meet certain requirements
> for HTTP or HTTPS.  CoyoteConnector is HTTP/1.1 compliant, but again,
> that's more for convenience and compatibility than a design
> requirement.

Auoting from Servlet Specification, Version 2.3, Section 1.2:

    All servlet containers must support HTTP as a protocol
    for requests and responses, but additional request/response
    based protocols (such as HTTPS (HTTP over SSL) may be
    supported.  The minimum required version of the HTTP
    specification that a container must implement is HTTP/1.0.
    It is strongly suggested that containers implement the
    HTTP/1.1 specification as well.

So, a servlet container (which is either Tomcat standalone or
Tomcat+Apache) *must* support HTTP.

> I'm sure the folks on tomcat-dev could shed some more light on it.

Of course, this statement does nothing to resolve the issue of what the
right welcome file behavior is -- the HTTP spec is silent about that :-).

> John

Craig

---