From: Turner, John [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 5:34 AM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: [OFF-TOPIC] RE: RewriteRules and Standalone Tomcat

I'd love to see a cite for "80% of web traffic comes from search engines".
I've worked on plenty of high-traffic public websites in my day, and have
never, ever found that to be the case.  If anything, more traffic comes from
portals such as Yahoo, AOL, and MSN than anywhere else, and by that I mean
direct links from the main page, which cost money.

People don't get to nike.com by typing "shoes" in a search engine.  "Shoes"
on Google gets "Vegetarian Shoes" as the first link.  Yeah, that's relevant.

In my experience, search engine placement as a priority is the technique
used by sites that don't have any money and want traffic for free. Keep in
mind that traffic != sales, and traffic != revenue.  They're not even
directly proportional.

How you drive traffic depends on the target audience. Sometimes its a search
engine, I would say search engines are the last place people look when they
want to spend money.  Search engines are used, in my opinion, by people
looking for information or anything else that's free, not for someplace to
spend money.

"CDs" at Google doesn't get me Amazon, yet that's the first place I go when
I want to buy a CD from a major artist.  Even a specific artist like "Eminem
CD" doesn't get me Amazon anywhere near the top of the results.

For us, our Tomcat-based commercial applications are sold face-to-face by
salespeople.

John