Typically this happens when the session with ID x
is invalidated, then each request with the same
sessionid will create a new session.

One typical scenario for that is a framed site,
where there is one navigation frame and (at least)
one content frame. If the user has diabled cookies
all links in the navigation frame contain session
id X unless the navigation frame is reloaded. After
a timeout of session X each click to link in the
navigation frame will create a new session.

How something like that can happen with cookies
enabled is not clear to me.

Some recommended actions to track down the problem:
- Log each session invalidation
  Look if session was invalidated when you find
  a request for this session that created a new session.
  Find out why the session was invalidated (timeout)
- If session.isNew is true log folowing data
  request.getRequestedSessionId(),
  request.isRequestedSessionIdFromUrl()
  request.isRequestedSessionIdFromCookie()
  request.isRequestedSessionIdValid()