Hi,

which linux distro + version do you use?
seems to be something like RH ?
It is (RH 8.0).

 "daemon" is a well known function there (often used by shell scripts in the
/etc/init.d directory).

if it is RH:

the function "daemon" calls:

initlog -c "su - $user -c \"$*\""

                $* should stand for:  $TOMCAT_SCRIPT start

 it should do the same as in "normal case":
  su - $TOMCAT_USER -c "$TOMCAT_SCRIPT start"
As is, I think you didnīt saw that second line coming from a bad CR due to the mail reply

<snip>
When I replace the line: "daemon --user $TOMCAT_USER ### BAD BAD CARRIAGE RETURN ###
$TOMCAT_SCRIPT start" ### HERE WE GO ON
</snip>

and that would do what you say, but itīs not working.

however, and here is the problem in your case:
 the "line" should be:
                        daemon --user $TOMCAT_USER -c "$TOMCAT_SCRIPT start"
for successful working....
You mean "daemon --user $TOMCAT_USER $TOMCAT_SCRIPT start"
Without "-c" and quotes because that comes

> initlog -c "su - $user -c \"$*\""
^^ <- here, if I get you right.

Pasted from file again:
[...]
start() {
echo -n "Starting $TOMCAT_PROG: "

if [ -x /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions ]; then
daemon --user $TOMCAT_USER $TOMCAT_SCRIPT start # NOT WORKING
else
su - $TOMCAT_USER -c "$TOMCAT_SCRIPT start" # WORKING IF MOVED UP
fi

RETVAL=$?
echo
[ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/tomcat4
return $RETVAL
}
[...]

Regards,