That is where the tyrex jars are, problem is, I don't use HypersonicSQL,
which is the jar file tyrex is looking for.  If I put the hypersonicSQL jars
there, it attempts to connect to a non-existent database.  I found what was
causing that problem, and I have a new one (Progress!!).  Now whenever I
attempt to get a connection from the pool, I get

javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot create resource instance

pretty vague, isn't it?

Below is the XML from the relevant server and web.xml files.  Maybe this
will help.

I have this chunk of xml in the web.xml file for the application

    <resource-ref>
      <description>wwxchange</description>
      <res-ref-name>jdbc/wwxchange</res-ref-name>
      <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>

which is in turn, described by this context

 <Context path="/wwxchange" docBase="wwxchange"
        debug="5" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">

             prefix="localhost_DBTest_log." suffix=".txt"
             timestamp="true"/>

     <Resource name="jdbc/wwxchange" scope="Shareable"
           type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
     <ResourceParams name="jdbc/wwxchange">

       <parameter>
         <name>factory</name>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>url</name>
         <value>jdbc:odbc:www_ship_2</value>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>maxActive</name>
         <value>10</value>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>maxWait</name>
         <value>5000</value>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>driverClassName</name>
         <value>sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver</value>
       </parameter>
       <parameter>
         <name>maxIdle</name>
         <value>2</value>