I'm using JDBC connection with Tomcat 4.0 as shown in Tomcat4.0 online
documentation
(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html):

// Obtain our environment naming context
Context initCtx = new InitialContext();

// Look up our data source
DataSource ds = (DataSource)
  envCtx.lookup("jdbc/EmployeeDB");

// Allocate and use a connection from the pool
Connection conn = ds.getConnection();

... use this connection to access the database ...

conn.close();
but coudn't find answer to these questions:

- When I call

     ds.getConnection();

am I getting a connection from a pool or opening a NEW connection every
time?

- If there's a pool why do I have to close the connection with

     conn.close();

instead of releasing it to the pool?

- What are the improvement in Tomcat 1.1.x about JDBC connection pooling?