Check the release notes.  Symlinks are disabled by default in 4.1.12 and up
for security reasons.

You will need to specify a Resource in server.xml that calls FileDirContext
with "allowLinking" set to true:

<Resources className="org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext"
              allowLinking="true" docBase="" />

Search the archives for more info, this comes up frequently.

John