Greetings!

New to Jakarta and I'm stuck.  Again, most likely an easy solution but I can't
find it.

I'm following the instructions in a book on deploying a war file yet it won't
automatically expand when I restart Tomcat.  Here's the steps I took and some
config stuff:

I cd to the working directory of the application, in this case

/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/apress
jar cvf apress.war .

I then move apress.war to /usr/local/tomcat/webapps and delete the apress
directory.

In my server.xml file I have

      <!-- Define the default virtual host -->
      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

      <Context path="/apress" docBase="apress" debug="9" reloadable="true" />

Yet when I restart Tomcat the apress.war file remains and there is no
directory called apress.

I've read that Tomcat can use the war file rather than a directory but there
are some problems.  In my case the first page (jsp) appears ok, but it chokes
when calling the servlet.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Eric