I have already installed the rpm version of Tomcat (taken from
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.1.18/rpms/tomcat4-4.1.18-full.1jpp.noarch.rpm)
 and the related webapps
(http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.1.18/rpms/tomcat4-admin-webapps-4.1.18-full.1jpp.noarch.rpm,

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.1.18/rpms/tomcat4-webapps-4.1.18-full.1jpp.noarch.rpm).
 I also installed JK (taken from
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/release/v1.2.2/rpms/mod_jk-ap20-1.2.2-1jpp.i386.rpm)
 and put mod_jk-2.0.42.so (taken from
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/release/v1.2.1/bin/linux/i386/mod_jk-2.0.42.so
 )in /etc/http/modules and renamed the file to mod_jk.so. I have also set it to the
proper permissions (755).

I also put the following lines in httpd.conf

LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so

#AddModule mod_jk.c
JkWorkersFile /etc/httpd2/conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile /var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel info

I then tried to restart Apache. However, it did not start and gave me
the error message:

Starting httpd: httpd: module "mod_jk.c" is not compatible with this
version of Apache.
Please contact the vendor for the correct version.

Did I miss a file or download? or perhaps an easier way to let Apache
parse JSP files properly? :)

I am using RedHat 8.0 with Apache 2

I got the instructions on how to install
these from
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk/aphowto.html

- Andres Montiel