No, that's not correct.  Mod_jk is open source, under the Apache license, as
is Apache HTTP and Jakarta Tomcat.  The source is freely available, and you
can modify it all you want, and compile your own version as much as you
would like.

My point was that as far as I could tell, that part of the code is making a
simple sockets library call...that is, it is calling connect() with certain
parameters like IP address, port, etc. and trying to open a socket.  I'm not
sure what you would want to change there, my less-than-proficient-at-C guess
tells me changing anything there would break mod_jk more than it would help.
The socket libraries are pretty standard in any application (not just
mod_jk), I doubt there is anything special about them that you would want to
change.  The error message says "I tried to open a socket to the given IP
address and the port and couldn't".

If mod_jk.so, the actual binary file, hasn't changed on your system (check
the timestamp) since before you started seeing this error message, then
there's nothing in mod_jk.so to fix, unless you wanted to set it up to log
less cryptic error messages, so messing with the source code would be
futile.  The error would be external to mod_jk, such as:

- Tomcat's connector doesn't have enough processes or threads to allow
another connection

- somebody setup a firewall or made a change to an existing firewall ruleset
that would block connections (note that a firewall can be local to the
server, it doesn't necessarily have to be an external device)

- a system resource is not allowing the connect to happen, such as max
number of socket connections system-wide, memory, bad name resolution, etc.

- the error is happening on the response from Tomcat, not the request, which
means Apache is having a problem with resources (memory, threads, etc)

- any number of other things, fairly difficult to narrow it down

If you really want to get into the nitty gritty of what that error message
means, and what the solution might be, I would subscribe to tomcat-dev and
start asking questions there, or dive into the source code yourself and see
if you can figure out what is going on.

John

---