OK, we're going around in circles.

My advice:  install Tomcat, and stick with the defaults, and then analyze
how things are set up before changing them.  Out of the box,
http://localhost:8080/examples works for ALL Tomcat installations.  If it
doesn't, something isn't setup right (like CATALINA_HOME isn't set), or
someone changed something in the default server.xml.  You do not need to
make ANY changes to server.xml or any other Tomcat config file to get
http://localhost:8080/examples working when you install it.  Trust me.

Tomcat, in server.xml, likes host names.  If, in server.xml, you changed
<Host name="localhost"> to <Host name="something else"> please change it
back, especially if you put an IP address in there (like 192.168.x.x or
whatever).

If you have 192.168.x.x in there, that is what you need on the URL.  If you
are typing "localhost:8080" into your browser, then you need <Host
name="localhost"> in server.xml.  Things have to match, it's not magic.

Once you have it back to the default installation, and
http://localhost:8080/examples works (JSPs and servlets both work), please
post back to the list, and explain that 1) you have a default installation,
2) you have a certain Tomcat version, 3) whether you want to use Apache or
not, and 4) what URL it is that you want to use to make your web application
come up via Tomcat.  Even if you want to have multiple webapps or whatever,
start with just one and let the folks here step you through setting it up so
that you can see what it takes and you don't go in circles.  Also, check the
docs, all of this stuff is covered in there, and there are several HOWTOs
available on the net.

John