I am able to run it as a service without problems.  Be
sure the note found at:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat/release/v3.3.1a/bin/win32/i386/>

isn't what is keeping it from working.

For the mysterious shutdowns, you may want to try increasing
the log level to see if any clues show up in the logs.  Of the
few times I recall where no clues were found in the logs,
shutdowns turned out to be calls to System.exit() somewhere in
the user's, or some third party, code.

Cheers,
Larry